To be eligible for senior housing, prospective tenants must meet the following criteria:
- New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
- Aged 60 or above.
- Receiving a permanent benefit.
- Assets not exceeding $25,000 if single and $35,000 if a couple. Assets exclude furniture and personal effects. Assets include cash in the bank, investments, shares, trusts, and interests in property.
- Not have owned a house in the past five years.
If accessible units are available, people with disabilities aged 55 or over who:
- are receiving a benefit from the Ministry of Social Development
- are compatible with village living and
- who meet the other criteria above
will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Receiving and Considering Applications
All applicants must:
- Complete the tenant application form in full
- Provide two personal character references from a person who is not a family member
- Provide a reference from a doctor advising they can live independently and look after themselves with a minimum of social service support (such as Meals on Wheels, District Nurse visits or home help with cleaning).
When we have accommodation becoming available, we will meet with a prospective tenant to make sure it is suitable for them.
Accepting prospective tenants remains at the full discretion of the Council.
Applications from people living outside the Masterton District will be considered.